Seniors: SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY: RMHC Scholars Scholarship Program
Seniors: SFA's November Financial Aid Newsletter
financial aid newsletter is here.
The November edition of SFA's financial aid newsletter is now available to view, download and print.
This month's newsletter includes information about:
- being classified as dependent vs. independent
- information about the data retrieval tool
- signing the FAFSA
- when to apply for the FAFSA.
Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors: What is the Price Tag for a College Education?
- Tuition and fees. Colleges charge tuition for instruction and fees for services like gym access, academic advising, and campus elections.
- Room and board. The total college price includes estimates for on- and off-campus housing and meals.
- Books and supplies. Colleges add in the average costs for textbooks and other learning materials, including computers.
- Personal and transportation expenses. Miscellaneous costs for things like local transportation, clothing, and entertainment are included in the total cost as well.
Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors: How to Shine in Your College Essay
- Develop your topic like a story. Colleges look for students who seek challenges and learn from them. Even a small incident of personal growth can lead to an amazing essay.
- Get a good start. One way to get going is to talk through your topic. Record your thoughts or have someone note them for you.
- Show your thoughtfulness. Push yourself to think deeply about why your topic is compelling to you. Explain how you feel about it and why.
- Revise until it feels right. Ask someone with excellent grammar skills, such as a teacher or parent, to proofread it.
Seniors: Texas A&M Important Information from Derek Nido
We have extended our application deadline to January 2, 2018 and our credential deadline to January 10, 2018. The deadlines were extended primarily for hurricane victims, but we did extended the deadline for all students. However, even though the deadline has been extended, we are still encouraging students in the Dallas-Fort Worth and East Texas Areas to submit before December 1, 2017 (because why would you want to be rushing to submit your college application during Winter Break?). The university will also be closed the week in-between Christmas and New Years, so no one will be available to answer questions or receive documents during that time.
Our Priority Deadline for the FAFSA/TASFA remains at December 15, 2017.
Please note that I have offered to meet with students this week and next in the evenings for Aggie Coffee Talks. Students with either an open or submitted application were notified this afternoon regarding the dates and times. Please encourage any of your students who may have outstanding questions or concerns to attend one of these sessions.
During these Aggie Coffee Talks, I do have time allotted for Walk-Ins. If you have some questions or would like to drop off some materials for your students, please feel free to meet with me during the Walk-In times below:
Tuesday, November 28, 2017, Walk-Ins: 6-6:30pm & 8-8:30pm
Location: Starbucks, 113 N NW Loop 323, Tyler, TX 75703
Wednesday, November 29, 2017, Walk-Ins: 8-8:30pm
Location: Starbucks, 1320 S Broadway Sulphur Springs, TX 75482
Thursday, November 30, 2017, Walk-Ins: 6-6:30pm & 8-8:30pm
Location: Starbucks, 1645 Town East Blvd. Mesquite, TX 75150
**I will be hosting similar Coffee Talks in Texarkana and in Longview next week. I will send those dates/times out later this week.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I am always happy to help.
Thanks and Gig’em,
Derek J. Nido ‘11 | Regional Advisor II- East Texas
Office of Admissions, Division of Academic Affairs | Texas A&M University
Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Prospective Student Center
3900 Arlington Highlands Blvd. #273 | Arlington, TX 76018
ph: 817.375.0960 | fax: 817.375.8924 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors: Virtual College Fair
Seniors: DISCOVER Student Loans
I know that this is a busy time of year, but I wanted to remind you that our $2,500 Scholarship Award is still available for eligible students and parents through December 31, 2017. Students and parents can enter by signing up to receive tips and resources on https://scholarship.collegecovered.com/ No purchase or loan necessary to enter or win.
We also have a Scholarship Search tool where students can search 3 million scholarships worth more than $18 billion, and no registration is required.
Please share CollegeCovered.com, a FREE resource on planning and paying for college, with your students and parents.
Seniors: Financial Aid Pitfalls to Avoid
Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors: Deciding Which Colleges to Apply For
- Are you making an informed decision? Do you have all the facts you need about this college and what it might be like to attend?
- Are you making a reasonable decision? Have you considered your chances of acceptance and your ability to afford the college?
- Are you making a heartfelt decision? Does each school fit your personality -- and challenge you in just the right ways?
Seniors: University of Houston Scholarship Deadline Change
Sometimes there just isn’t enough time to get everything done. And with the various natural disasters that have been happening around the country, now is one of those times. S
Students deserve to have the time they need to complete their University of Houston application and have the best shot at receiving scholarship offers. That’s why we’ve decided to push back our scholarship priority deadline from Nov. 15, 2017, to Jan. 3, 2018.
Here’s what that means:
- Students who complete their application (including an official transcript and test scores) by 5 p.m. (CST) on Jan. 3 will be automatically considered for the Academic Excellence Scholarship which can be found at : http://www.uh.edu/financial/undergraduate/types-aid/scholarships/#freshmen which is our primary merit scholarship program.
- Students interested in applying for the Tier One Scholarship also have until Jan. 3 to complete that application. The Tier One Invitational, which was originally scheduled for Jan. 13, 2018, will be rescheduled. Updated information, as it’s available, will be posted at: http://www.uh.edu/tieronescholars/benefits/
- We also have a number of endowed scholarships, which students can apply for through myUH. Applications for these scholarships will be open from mid-November to mid-February. These applications can be found at: http://www.uh.edu/financial/undergraduate/types-aid/scholarships/#uh%20endowed
Just to recap: the scholarship priority deadline is now Jan. 3, 2018. However, the Fall 2018 application deadline for admission hasn’t changed. It’s still June 15, 2018.
If you have any questions, send us an email at email@example.com or call us at (713) 743-1010, option 4.
SENIORS: SCHOLARSHIP REMINDER: Marsha Martin Scholarship and AG Student of the Month
AgStudent of the Month: Each of Texas Farm Credit's 20 branch offices will recognize one outstanding student per month from January to April 2018. Winners will receive a $100 Visa gift card and will advance to the selection process for the Marsha Martin Scholarship.
Marsha Martin Scholarship: We will award five Marsha Martin Scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each for graduating seniors who are involved in FFA or 4-H and are pursuing a college degree in an agriculture-related field of study. These five scholarship recipients will be selected from the monthly AgStudent of the Month winners.
Club Contribution: In addition, each of the five Marsha Martin scholarship winners will also have a $500 contribution made in their honor to their FFA or 4-H club.
Information related to both programs can be downloaded from our website: https://www.texasfcs.com/news/scholarship-programs
Our application deadline and requirements have changed from previous years so please ensure that you
• review eligibility requirements
• are using the 2018 application
• note the December 1, 2017 deadline
Please contact us if you have any questions.
Lauren Graham, Relationship Manager
Texas Farm Credit Scholarship Committee
903-593-6609 | Scholarships@TexasFCS.com