Attention Seniors: SFA's 2016-2017 Smith-Hutson Scholarship Application
Smith-Hutson Scholarships are intended for entering freshmen with established financial need and academic potential who are seeking an undergraduate degree from Stephen F. Austin State University.
Taking into account other scholarships that the student may receive and the student's and parents' financial resources, the Smith-Hutson Scholarship typically provides sufficient assistance to cover tuition, books, fees, and reasonable living expenses on campus.
Students remain eligible to receive a Smith-Hutson Scholarship for a maximum of four years of undergraduate studies, provided the recipient maintains a cumulative grade point average (GPA) at SFA of at least a 2.5 and completes a minimum of 30 semester credit hours toward their degree each academic year.
If a recipient's GPA falls below a 2.0 in any single semester, the scholarship is subject to termination.
Freshmen scholarship recipients are required to live together in the same housing unit on campus unless commuting or living with family.
Stephen F. Austin State University strongly encourages all qualified students to apply for these scholarships by submitting the required supplemental information in combination with this application. Remember, many qualified applicants do not receive awards. Most recipients qualify for the Pell Grant and all applicants are required to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ as early as possible prior to the semester for which they are applying. The student must then follow up on their financial aid status at SFA by logging on to mySFA on our homepage at http://www.sfasu.edu. All financial aid requirements should be completed as early as possible. Assistance is available through our financial aid office, SFA Box 13052, Nacogdoches, TX 75962 or telephone (936) 468-2403.
Smith-Hutson Scholarship recipients will be selected by a committee which will include representatives named by the Donor. The following criteria will be applied. Applicants must:
- be a legal resident of the state of Texas;
- satisfy admission requirements for Stephen F. Austin State University and have applied or been accepted for admission;
- demonstrate financial need supported with complete copies of their guardian's Form 1040 tax returns for the 2013 and 2014 tax years and their guardian's W-2 forms for the 2015 tax year;
- provide a personal essay describing career goals (maximum two pages double-spaced and one-sided);
- provide two letters of recommendation from non-family members addressing academic potential and/or financial need (it is preferable that at least one of these letters come from a teacher of English or Mathematics in whose class(es) they were enrolled in the last year);
- be unmarried with no children, and
- be available for a personal interview on the SFA campus May 2-3, 2016.
Attention Sophomore and Juniors: Register for Khan Academcy
Attention Seniors: Frontier Fiesta Scholarship
Attention Seniors: Michael O'Malley Scholarship
Fine Arts Preview Day at Angelina College
Attention Sophomore: It is HOBY Application Time!
The Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Program (HOBY) is the nation’s foremost youth leadership development organization. HOBY programs provide youth with unique leadership training to make a better world. The conference is open to sophomores.
This year’s conference will be held in Galveston, Texas. Date of conference has not been set yet.
Interested sophomores can apply by:
- In 100 words or less, describe the most rewarding and challenging aspect of being a leader in your school and community.
- Turn in the completed essay no later than Friday, November 13th to Ms. Cartwright.
- A committee will choose SAHS’s ambassador.
- The chosen ambassador will be notified no later than Friday, December 4th.
If you have further questions or for more specific information, please see Ms. Cartwright.