Congratulations to the members and directors of the SAHS Concert Band!! The band travelled to Bullard last week for the UIL Concert and Sight Reading contests and came home with 1's for each performance. They end their UIL performance this year with a 2 in Marching and the 1's in Concert and Sight Reading. The band was treated with a VIP police escort through town, ending at the Band Hall with horns blaring and parents and friends cheering. Congratulations to all band members and directors Craig Haynie and Brittany Raley - all their hard work really paid off!
The next band booster meeting is Tuesday, May 13 at 5:30 in the Band Hall. Mr. Haynie wants to encourage anyone wishing to support the band through their participation in the Band Booster Club to attend - band boosters are not just family members of band students! If you love music and want to support the band program at SAISD, please consider joining!
Congratulations to our UIL academic winners who competed at the regional level this past Saturday in Nacogdoches. Our Calculator team was the regional champ, with Kateryna Smuk in 1st place, Jairyle Josue in 3rd place, Rebeca Landaverde in 5th place and Cordestine Clifton. They will advance to the State Meet in Austin May 19 - 21. Our Math team placed second in the region with Kateryna Smuk in 5th place and other team members Jairyle Josue, Anthony Nguyen and Cordestine Clifton. And our Number Sense team placed third in region with team members Anthony Nguyen, Hanna Nguyen, Megan Chang and Ky'Ashlyn Price. Congratulations to all the competitors and to their coach Guy "Doc" Harrison!
More congratulations are in order for SAHS students! We have both boys and girls headed to the state Track Meet this weekend in Austin. We have the following boys in competition:
· Sprint Relay - Dez Randle, Jarvis Smith, Jamikel Roberts and Anwar Davis
· 100m Dash - Anwar Davis
· 800 Relay - Dez Randle, Jarvis Smith, JD Brown, and Anwar Davis
We have the following girls in competition:
· 4x1 Relay - Ky'Ashlyn Price, Jazmine Watts, Ve'Shun Lacy and La'Tavia Edwards
· 4x2 Relay - Ky'Ashlyn Price, Jazmine Watts, Ve'Shun Lacy and LaTavia Edwards
· 200m Dash - Ky'Ashlyn Price
· Shot Put - Tia Barnes
Aaliyah Anders, Vantaysia Lister and Quintorria Bell will also be attending the State Meet as alternates. Congratulations and Good Luck to all our competitors!
Coach Donald Hubbard wants to remind the public that pre-participation physicals for all incoming 7th, 9th, and 11th grade student athletes will be held Tuesday, May 20 at Nacogdoches Medical Center (NMC). The NMC Sports Medicine Department will be offering FREE physical exams for any San Augustine student athlete who has the proper paperwork completed. See Coach Hubbard for the paperwork packet.
Other upcoming events important to the friends and family of SAHS students include:
· Installation of new National Honor Society members will be held Tuesday evening, May 13 at 6:00 PM in the High School auditorium;
· The spring semester Blood Drive will be held from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM Thursday, May 15 in the High School auditorium; and
· The All-Sports Athletic Banquet is scheduled for Monday, May 19 at 6:00 in the High School gymnasium.